BetFred Cup – Match Day 2 Round-Up

Group A

Brechin City 1-1 Forfar Athletic (Brechin City win 4-3 on Penalties)

Brechin came out on top of Tuesday’s Angus Derby by defeating local rivals Forfar on penalties. It was Isaac Layne who opened the scoring for the home side before a late penalty was given to the Loons after a foul on David Cox by Willie Dyer. Former Falkirk, Queen of the South and Livingston midfielder Mark Millar stepped up and scored, to take the match to a shoot-out. After 5 rounds of penalties, the score lay at 3-3 after misses by Dylan Easton, James Dale, David Cox and Ally Love. Substitute Ousman See saw his effort fly over the bar which presented the men from Glebe Park with the chance to win the bonus point; Kalvin Orsi stepped up and slotted the ball home, into the bottom left-hand corner to seal an extra point for Darren Dods’ men.

Attendance: 526

Stirling Albion 0-0 Inverness Caledonian Thistle (Inverness Caledonian Thistle win 2-0 on Penalties)

John Robertson’s Inverness side dominated for large spells aganst their League Two opponents but were unable to find the net in regulation time at Forthbank. The tie went to penalties where neither side were much better – the opening five penalties missed before Liam Polworth scored in the shoot-out. With chances running out, Connor McMullan fired high and wide with his effort, leaving Iain Vigurs with the opportunity to seal a bonus point for the Highlanders. The experienced midfielder planted the ball into the right-hand corner of the net, to fire Caley top of Group A.

Attendance: 591


Position Name Played Goal Difference Points

1. Inverness 2 +3 5

2. Falkirk 1 +3 3

3. Brechin 2 -3 2

4. Forfar 1 0 1

5. Stirling 2 -3 1

Group B

East Fife 0-0 Dunfermline Athletic (Dunfermline Athletic win 9-8 on Penalties)

It was a dull and drab game at New Bayview despite the sunny conditions. The Fifers played a competitive game on their new Astroturf pitch and the players of both sides struggled to adapt in a match where neither keeper were overly tested. Youngster Thomas Cordery went off injured at half-time, with former Pars goalkeeper Ryan Goodfellow coming on in his place. However, the 24-year-old couldn’t save a penalty with all 9 of Dunfermline’s efforts hitting the net – including by new signing Dean Shiels – before Ben Gordon saw his effort hit the post as the Pars picked up a bonus point.

Attendance: 1094

Elgin City 0-1 Heart of Midlothian

After a demoralising defeat to Dunfermline on Saturday, Elgin almost caused an upset at Borough Briggs on Tuesday evening. The League Two side held a strong Jambo’s line-up for 60 minutes before Northern Ireland internationalist, Kyle Lafferty, slotted past Marc Waters inside the area after being set-up by Esmael Goncalves. Despite the dominance of Ian Cathro’s side, the Premership side could not find the net further as they start their season off with a win.

Attendance: 1303


Position Name Played Goal Difference Points

1. Dunfermline 2 +6 5

2. Hearts 1 +1 3

3. Peterhead 1 +1 3

4. East Fife 2 -1 0

5. Elgin 2 -7 0

Group C

Raith Rovers 1-2 Dundee

There was drama in Kirkcaldy as Dundee snatched a late winner to deny Barry Smith’s side at least a point. In Neil McCann’s first competitive game as permanent manager of the Dees, it was a tough clash with the Rovers showing signs of improvement after a tough season under Gary Locke and then John Hughes last term. It was new Dee signing Sofien Moussa that fired the visitors in front, however, in 83 minutes with his first goal for the club. With the clock hitting 90, the ball hit the net as Lewis Vaughan fired the League One side level. However, there was no penalty shoot-out to follow with Jack Hendry finding the net from a Scott Allan corner to send the 1600 or so Dundee fans behind the goals in raptures as the Dark Blues kicked off their campaign in style.

Attendance: 2962


Position Name Played Goal Difference Points

1. Cowdenbeath 1 +2 3

2. Dundee Utd 1 +2 3

3. Dundee 1 +1 3

4. Buckie 1 -2 0

5. Raith 2 -3 0

Group D

Alloa Athletic 1-1 Arbroath (Arbroath win 6-5 on Penalties)

David Gold was the hero as Dick Campbell’s Arbroath took two points from a possible three in Tuesday evening’s BetFred Cup match. Blair Yule – signed from Cove Rangers this summer – fired the Red Lichties ahead early on but with minutes remaining, former Stranraer defender Frank McKeown equalised for Jim Goodwin’s men. However, the Wasps’ equaliser wasn’t as big a sting in the tale as they had hoped with their League One rivals taking the spoilts 6-5 in the penalty shoot-out. Gavin Malin had missed early on for the visitors but with Kris Renton and then Thomas Grant missing, the shoot-out was won when Gold’s penalty found the back of the net.

Attendance: 311

Montrose 0-6 Ross County

Premiership side Ross County eased Montrose aside as they equalled the scoreline of Dunfermline on Saturday by winning 6-0 against their League Two opponents. Unlike the Pars’ Nicky Clark, who scored 4 goals in the win versus Elgin, County shared the goals around with their three main strikers all hitting the target. Summer signing from Odense in Denmark, Thomas Mikkelsen scored the opener on 15 minutes. Another three goals followed before half-time with Craig Curran scoring a brace, including a penalty, sandwiched in between an own goal by Sean Dillon. Substitute Alex Schalk scored a fifth for Jim McIntyre’s men just minutes after entering the action before Mikkelsen grabbed his second and Ross County’s sixth to round of a good evening’s work by the men from Dingwall.

Attendance: 421


Position Name Played Goal Difference Points

1. Ross County 2 +8 6

2. Hibs 1 +4 3

3. Arbroath 1 0 2

4. Alloa 2 -2 1

5. Montrose 2 -10 0

Group E

Dumbarton 1-3 Ayr United

It was two wins out of two for Ian McCall’s men after breezing passed Dumbarton on Tuesday evening at the newly named YOUR Radio 103FM Stadium. Andy Dowie scored an own goal after prodding toe ball into his own net after a cross into the penalty area before Christian Nade rose highest in the box to head the Sons level right on half-time. It was downhill for Dumbarton then on in as Stevie Aitken’s side conceded two late goals. Declan McDaid, the former Partick Thistle winger, scored a screamer on 71 minutes before Robbie Crawford fired Ayr two goals ahead with just minutes remaining to see Ayr proudly sitting top of Group E after a 100% start to their BetFred Cup campaign.

Attendance: 615

Kilmarnock 4-2 Clyde

It was an enthralling match at Rugby Park on Tuesday evening as Lee McCulloch’s men overcame a stubborn Clyde side. Rory McKenzie scored after 7 minutes for Killie but within five minutes Jim Chapman’s side had the lead. Darren Rmasay and then Kevin Nicol – just 60 seconds later – put the Bully Wee into the lead against the side from Ayrshire. New signing from Motherwell scored a double on his home debut to put Kilmarnock back in front before McKenzie doubled his goal tally too. With the League Two side now trailing by two, their task to get back into the game became greater when left-back Jordan Stewart was sent-off, with a straight red card, after a tackle on Adam Frizzell. Despite some late pressure, the Premiership hosts couldn’t make the most of their man advantage with no further goals scored.

Attendance: 1871


Position Name Played Goal Difference Points

1. Ayr 2 +3 6

2. Kilmarnock 2 +1 3

3. Clyde 2 -1 3

4. Annan 1 -1 0

5. Dumbarton 1 -2 0

Group F

Edinburgh City 2-2 Berwick Rangers (Edinburgh City win 4-2 on Penalties)

Edinburgh City kicked off their new campaign at Spartans’ Ainslie Park against fellow League Two side Berwick Rangers. New signing from down south, the experienced striker, Ashley Grimes opened his account for the season midway inside the first period before Aaron Murrell equalised for the Borderers on the half-hour mark. Just 60 seconds later, however, and Grimes had put City ahead once more with his effort flying past Robby McCrorie and into the on-loan Rangers keepers’ top right-hand corner. As full-time approached, Berwick equalised for a second time, through Pat Scullion on this occasion, after he met a Chris McDonald corner. It was the former and the latter who missed the decisive penalties in the resultant shoot-out as Gary Jardine’s men start their 2017/18 campaign with two points.

Attendance: 247

Greenock Morton 2-2 Queen’s Park (Greenock Morton win 4-2 on Penalties)

Group F saw two similar results on Tuesday evening, with Morton almost being the main upset of the evening as they fought hard to gain 2 points from their encounter with Queen’s Park at Cappielow. All 4 goals came in the closing stages, with Bryan Wharton firing Gus MacPherson’s side in front before former Ton striker Thomas Orr came off the bench to double the League One sides’ lead. Bob McHugh and then a 92nd minute equaliser from Darren Barr saw the game go to penalties in Renfrewshire. Bob McHugh and Thomas Orr both missed the opening penalties of the shoot-out for either side but Gary Harkins was the man to seal the comeback and a bonus point for Jim Duffy’s side after Kevin Green’s penalty was saved.

Attendance: 1220


Position Name Played Goal Difference Points

1. Morton 2 +1 5

2. Motherwell 1 +4 3

3. Edin. City 1 0 2

4. Berwick 2 -1 1

5. Queen’s Park 2 -4 1

Group G

Albion Rovers 1-1 Stenhousemuir (Stenhousemuir win 3-2 on Penalties)

Stenhousemuir were to prevail with two points from this closely contested fixture at Cliftonhill. It was the visitors who took the lead, through experienced striker Colin McMenamin, early on. However, the hosts were level just before the hour after Sean Higgins was felled in the penalty area by former Rovers defender Ross Dunlop. New summer signing, from Brechin City, Alan Trouten stepped up and slotted the ball home from 12 yards. Seven penalties were missed in the resultant shoot-out, with Connor Shields missing the vital kick to gift a bonus point to Brown Ferguson’s League Two side.

Attendance: 244

Queen of the South 0-0 East Kilbride (East Kilbride win 4-1 on Penalties)

It was a sensational evening for Lowland League champions East Kilbride as they gained two valuable points from their trip to Dumfries ths midweek. It was a dominant display by Gary Naysmith’s side but the visitors stood firm and denied experienced strikers Stephen Dobbie and Derek Lyle. As the game entered a penalty shoot-out, it was Billy Stark’s men to go first; Adam Strachan scored while Kyle Jacobs missed for the home side. Aidan Ferris doubled EK’s lead before Callum Tapping also failed to score for the Doonhamers as the Lowland League side took control. Declan Hughes kept hs nerve, meaning Stephen Dobbie had to score to keep Queens’ hopes alive. Despite his kick finding the net, Ross McNeil stayed composed enough to slot his kick into the bottom left-hand corner to seal a giant-killing of the highest order on Match Day 2 of the BetFred Cup.

Attendance: 1055


Position Name Played Goal Difference Points

1. Q.O.T,S 2 +2 4

2. Hamilton 1 +2 3

3. S’housemuir 2 -2 2

4. East Kilbride 2 -2 2

5. Albion 1 0 1

Group H

Airdrieonians 3-1 Stranraer

Managerless Airdrieonians started their season off with a home win after defeating League One rivals Stranraer. Youngster Cammy Russell fired the youthful looking Diamonds ahead before English goalkeeper Cameron Belford saw a straight red card for violent conduct. Andy Ryan stepped up and took the resultant penalty, slotting it home from 12-yards, leaving substitute goalkeeper Max Currie helpess. Just four minutes later and the home side made it three with Cammy Russell grabbing his second of the match. With less than ten minutes to go, Scott Robertson scored a consolation with a header after a Ryan Wallace delivery but Stevie Farrell and his side’s momentum couldn’t be put into practise for a late surge after David Barron saw referee Gavin Duncan produce a second yellow card, as the Blues ended the match with just 9 men.

Attendance: 490

St Mirren 0-1 Livingston

David Hopkin’s Livingston top Group H after Match Day 2 thanks to victory at the Paisley 2021 Stadium on Tuesday. Dale Carrick, who was on loan with Cowdenbeath last season, scored the only goal of the match within 100 seconds, firing low past Craig Samson. Conor O’Keefe and Gary MacKenzie had late chances for the Buddies, but it was to end in disappointment for Jack Ross’ side.

Attendnace: 2104


Position Name Played Goal Difference Points

1. Livingston 2 +1 5

2. St Mirren 2 +2 3

3. Airdrieonians 1 +2 3

4. Partick 1 0 1

5. Stranraer 2 -5 0


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s