Irn-Bru Cup First Round – Tuesday Round-Up

Aberdeen U20s 1-0 St Johnstone U20s

It was a 1-0 win for Paul Sheerin’s side at Glebe Park – home of Brechin City – after the young Dons ground out a victory against their St Johnstone counterparts. Frank Ross was the only goalscorer of the game on 42 minutes, which seals the Premiership colt’s sides progression to the next round.

Attendance: 155

Albion Rovers 0-0 Spartans (Albion Rovers win 5-4 on Penalties)

No goals were scored in 120 minutes, after a keenly contested match at Cliftonhill finished goalless. The penalty-shoot-out was much more productive with the first eight penalties being converted. Dachi Khutsishvili missed the decisive kick for the Lowland League side, allowing Jason Marr to fire the Coatbridge side into Round 2.

Attendance: 155

Annan Athletic 3-1 Celtic U20s

Adan Smith scored a hat-trick as Annan progressed to the next round. The young Celts had Wallace Duffy sent off after only 8 minutes due to violent conduct, before the former Queen of the South forward scored just under ten minutes later. Not long after that, Smith scored again – this time from the penalty spot. Regan Hendry pulled a goal back for Tommy McIntyre’s men on the half-hour mark but victory was confirmed six minutes before time when Smith scored his hat-trick to send Peter Murphy’s men into the next round.

Attendance: 278

Buckie Thistle 2-1 Brechin City

A strong Brechin City side were beaten by Highland League opponents in Tuesday night’s first round tie. Paul McLean put the Angus side ahead early on but substitute Kevin Fraser won the match for the Jags. Fraser was only on the field of play for three minutes when he struck initially before firing the winner on 82 minutes.

Attendance: 453

Clyde 2-3 Stranraer

An enthralling game saw Stevie Farrell’s men comeback to beat the Bully Wee. Jim Chapman’s side took an early lead through Martin McNiff before Smart Osadolor scored to double the hosts advantage just three minutes into the second half.. Scott Agnew was to pull a goal back from the penalty spot before Jordan Stewart found his own goal with twenty minutes remaining. The game went into extra-time and it was Ryan Wallace who scored the winner to send the League One side into Thursday’s draw.

Attendance: 319

Dundee United 2-0 Cowdenbeath

A United side featuring many youngsters and fringe players ran out comfortable winners against Cowdenbeath at Tannadice. Patrick N’Koyi scored a quick-fire double just after the hour mark and that was the difference between the sides, with Ray McKinnon’s side easing into the next round.

Attendance: 1,655

Dunfermline Athletic 2-0 Arbroath

Andy Ryan scored a double, on his debut, to put the Pars into the next round. A left-footed volley and a header from Fraser Aird’s corner was the difference between the sides. Ricky Little was sent off at 1-0 for a last man challenge on David Hopkirk while Conner Duthie got sent off for two yellow cards inside 60 seconds for the hosts in injury time but that made no difference with Allan Johnston’s men winning the tie.

Attendance: 1,462

East Fife 0-2 Peterhead

Jim McInally’s side continued their good start to the season with another victory over East Fife. After defeating them in the BetFred Cup, the Blue Toon met the Methil men yesterday evening at Bayview wth Marc Lawrence opening the scoring after only 2 minutes. It took until the second half for the second goal to come, with it going the visitors way once again – this time, Scott Adams putting the ball past Thomas Cordery. Darren Young’s side crash out of the competition in Round One, with the League One side losing their first competitive home match under the former Albion boss, after wins over Elgin and Alloa, while drawing with Dunfermline.

Attendance: 333

Formartine United 2-3 Heart of Midlothian U20s (AET)

Hearts U20s fought back from 2-0 down to secure their passage into Round 2. Ex-Elgin City man Archie McPhee opened the scoring for the hosts before Max Benton doubled their advantage ten minutes before the break. Dario Zannatta pulled one back for Hearts early on in the second half before forcing the game into extra time but sticking the ball home two minutes into injury time. Scott Ferries was sent off for a second yellow card in the opening stages of extra time, with the second booking appearing to be for simulation. On-loan Stenhousemuir player Harry Paton scored the winner, two minutes before full-time in extra-time. Euan Henderson, Dean Ritchie and Kyle Smith were all booked for entering the field of play at the goal, with Kyle Smith being shown the red card also for a second bookable offence.

Attendance: 200

Hamilton Academical U20s 1-0 Edinburgh City

Hamilton U20s side progressed after an early goal sealed victory for them at the SuperSeal Stadium. Ryan Tierney converted a 4th minute penalty and that goal proved to be the only one, which sees Gary Jardine’s League Two side crash out of the cup.

Attendance: 153

Hibernian U20s 1-2 Elgin City

Elgin progress to the second round after a late winner at Ainslie Park. Chris McLeish scored early on for the visitors before impressive youngster Fraser Murray pulled Hibs level shortly after the restart. With colt teams allowed to use 2 over-age players, the hosts gifted Lithuanian internationalist Deivydas Matulevicius a start but his presence was not enough to help the youngsters progress, with the Premiership youth side losing out to a late Stephen Bronsky goal to seal victory for Jim Weir’s League Two side.

Attendance: 387

Kilmarnock U20s 0-2 Berwick Rangers

John Coughlin’s League Two side progress after seeing off their youthful Killie counterparts. Steven Thomson opened the scoring for the visitors after 19 minutes before Michael McKenna doubled the Wee Rangers’ advantage twenty minutes later. There was no way back for the hosts, despite having the experience of Calum Waters and Steven Smith in their ranks, with the Premiership colt side being knocked out at the first hurdle.

Attendance: Undisclosed

Greenock Morton 0-2 Livingston

An impressive start to their season just got even better with David Hopkin’s side getting through to the next round of the Irn-Bru Cup. On-loan Hearts forward Nikolay Todorov opened the scoring just after the midway point of the first half before Danny Mullen sealed victory twenty minutes from time, leaving Jim Duffy’s Championship men out of the competition.

Attendance: 1,036

Partick Thistle U20s 6-1 Stirling University

The biggest win of the evening came at Firhill where Partick’s U20s breezed past Stirling Uni. Neil McLaughlin opened his account on 15 minutes and that was it for scoring in the first half, but six goals were to follow in the second period. Mark Lamont made it 2-0 before McLaughlin got his second of the evening to put the hots into an unassailable lead. Kevin Nisbet made it 4-0 before Adam Fitzpatrick made it 5. Blair Lyons grabbed a consolation for the visitors but the scoring wasn’t to end there; McLaughlin grabbed his hat-trick with 79 minutes on the clock to round-off a convincing win for the young Jags.

Attendance: Undisclosed

Queen of the South 4-0 Airdrieonians

An easy win for Queen of the South saw Gary Naysmith’s men ease into round two. Derek Lyle opened the scoring on 14 minutes before Jason Kerr – on-loan from St Johnstone – doubled the hosts advantage eleven minutes later. Darren Brownlie killed the game off as a contest a minute before the break with a third for Queens before another defender, Shaun Rooney, rounded off the scoring for the Championship side near the end.

Attendance: 1,012

Raith Rovers 3-0 Brora Rangers

Barry Smith’s side seal their way into the next round with another assured performance. Ross Callachan opened the scoring on 16 minutes before Lewis Vaughan doubled the Kirkcaldy side’s lead on 65 minutes. Substitute Yaw Osei-Opoku confirmed victory with six minutes remaining, with the Fife side progressing into round two..

Attendance: 971

Ross County 2-1 Forfar Athletic

Billy McKay opened his account for the Highland side with a goal in this Irn-Bru Cup match for the Ross County U20s team. The over-age player was given game-time after an injury lay-off and the Northern Irishman scored on 25 minutes to give the Dingwall side the lead. Ross Maciver scored 120 seconds later to double their advantage, with the goal proving crucial. Gaey Bollan’s side pulled a goal back through Mark Millar late on but couldn’t force extra-time with an equaliser, as the League One side fail to make it past their youthful Premiership colt opponents.

Attendance: Undisclosed

St Mirren 2-1 East Kilbride

An astonishing late comeback saw Jack Ross’ sides blushes dampened after squeezing past Lowland League side East Kilbride. Dominic McLaren gave Billy Stark’s men a late opener, and with 81 minutes on the clock, which looked to be the decisive winning goal. However, Ross Stewart and then a 92nd minute winner by Lewis Morgan sealed progression to the next round for last seasons’ beaten finalists.

Attendance: 1,357

Stenhousemuir 0-2 Cove Rangers

Brown Ferguson was left frustrated after seeing his side go out of the Irn-Bru Cup in Round 1. The League Two club went behind early on when Ross Dunlop put the ball in his own net. Mitch Megginson, formerly of Aberdeen, Raith and Alloa, put the Highland League side in command with a 36th minute penalty. Despite pressure, no goals were forthcoming for the Warriors, as they crash out of the cup.

Attendance: 169

Stirling Albion 1-3 Montrose

Montrose won the battle of these two League Two sides in Tuesday’s Irn-Bru Cup match at Forthbank. Andrew Steeves got the opener right on the stroke of half-time before Cammy Ballantyne scored a second-half double to give Stewart Petrie’s side victory. Darren Lee Smith was to pull a goal back for Dave Mackay’s men but it was too little too late.

Attendnace: 413

More matches will be played this evening (Wednesday) wth the draw taking place tomorrow, Thursday.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s