Elgin ease to victory as Cowden remain rooted to the bottom of League Two

It was a comfortable win for Elgin in Fife on Saturday afternoon as the Blue Brazil remain rooted to the bottom of the League Two table.

It was City who had the opening shot of the match early on as Thomas Reilly saw his right-footed free-kick saved by David McGurn.

Jamie Pyper fouled Bruce Anderson inside the penalty area on 7 minutes to gift the visitors a spot kick. Brian Cameron stepped up and scored his 6th goal of the season, sending McGurn the wrong way in the process.

Lewis Strapp took a heavy tackle from Jordan Garden which saw a lengthy stoppage at Central Park as the medical staff and first aiders treated the on-loan Morton defender. After being stretchered off, the teenager was replaced by Scott Smith.

The game got bogged down into a midfield battle after this with no real goalscoring chances being created; David Syme and Shaun Rutherford saw free-kicks from 20 yards blocked by the wall on both occasions as away goalie Mark Waters merely watched on as his team dominated the match.

McGurn was in fine form and saved his side from a real hammering heading into the break. The experienced former Morton and Raith Rovers shot-stopper would deny Bruce Anderson; Brian Cameron and Tony Dingwall in quick succession while Chris McLeish hit the post and Cameron Eadie flashed a header past the post.

The second goal would come as half-time approached, however, to give Gavin Price’s side a cushion heading into the dressing-room. Cameron raced forward and the perfectly waited through ball found the attacker free inside the area: despite getting a block on the midfielders shot, Cowdenbeath couldn’t stop the goal as the deflection wrong-footed McGurn as it hit the net.

Before the whistle would be blown, however, new Elgin signing Tony Dingwall and Cameron again, searching for his hat-trick, had efforts at goal but a third was not yet forthcoming.

A more energised and assertive Blue Brazil side entered the field of play as the second half got underway, with the home side forcing Waters into action for the first time in the afternoon with the former Partick keeper saving a Josh Morris diving header, with David Syme also managing to get a shot on-target moments later too.

Chris McLeish fired two efforts over the bar at the other end as the away side looked for a third that would surely kill the contest – however, it was a red card which seemed to do just that. Fraser Mullen was given his marching orders by match official Gavin Ross after the referee believed the player swore at him, however, interim boss John Ovenstone stated after that match that Mullen swore at himself after being frustrated with his own game and the sending off shouldn’t have occurred.

Bruce Anderson had an attempt at goal while Morris looked to reduce the deficit at the other end, forcing Waters into another smart stop at his near post. The game was put beyond all doubt however on 66 minutes as Thomas Reilly curled home a third, leaving McGurn rooted to the spot as the shot nestled into the keeper’s top left-hand corner.

With the situation already bleak, it was to get worse for Ovenstone’s men as the interim boss, in his final game in charge, saw David Syme sent off for a second bookable offence, as the Blue Brazil ended the match with 9 men. The defender dived in at the feet of Anderson on the half-way line and after not winning the ball cleanly, the referee was quick to show the player a second yellow card to compound the misery of the home fans in attendance.

McLeish saw a shot blocked as the home side began to gain in confidence, ironically, despite being two men light. And, it was late substitute Cameron Muirhead who put some respectability back into the scoreline with a late consolation after robbing Elgin’s Darryl McHardy of the ball 25 yards out, before coolly slotting it past the helpless and exposed Waters.

Scott Smith had the last shot of the match, but his ambitious long-range strike went harmlessly over the bar. It was a routine win for the visitors in the end for Gavin Price’s men, who will head into next weekend’s William Hill Scottish Cup tie full of confidence, whereas Cowden remaining at the bottom of League Two. An announcement over a new manager is expected early next week, which may be the boost the hosts need after another disappointing afternoon at Central Park.

FULL-TIME; Cowdenbeath 1-3 Elgin City

Team Line-Ups


1. David McGurn

2. Jamie Pyper

3. Shaun Rutherford

4. Fraser Mullen

5. Scott Rumsby (Captain)

6. David Syme

7. Kyle Miller

8. Robbie Buchanan

9. Josh Morris

10. Jordan Garden (Ryan Connelly 65’ (Cameron Muirhead 80’))

11. Brad Smith (Harvey Swann 65’)


17. Blair Penman (GK)

12. Harvey Swann

14. Cameron Muirhead

15. Alasdair Smith

16. Ben Stirling

18. Ryan Connelly

19. Jack Whittaker


1. Mark Waters

2. Chris Dodd

3. Lewis Strapp (Scott Smith 16’)

4. Darryl McHardy

5. Cameron Eadie

6. Jon-Paul McGovern (Captain)

7. Bruce Anderson (Ally Sutherland 73’)

8. Thomas Reilly

9. Chris McLeish

10. Brian Cameron (Callum Ferguson 79’)

11. Tony Dingwall


21, Trevor Dear (GK)

12, Scott Smith

14. Callum Ferguson

15. Jordan Allan

16. Stephen Bronsky

17. Ally Sutherland

18. Jamie Reid

Referee: Gavin Ross

Attendance: 326


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s