Late goal let-off for Rovers

Jonathan Court’s equaliser in the first minute of added time salvaged a point for Raith Rovers after a disappointing display by the title chasing Fife side. 

Euan Murray had the opening chance in this League One encounter, with the former Stenhousemuir defender heading against the post after an early corner.

Luke Watt and Scott Stewart failed to hit the target as Stevie Findlay’s men built their way into the match.

Greig Spence forced Ferguson into a save on 21 minutes but the striker wasn’t to be denied for long.

Lewis Vaughan slid the ball through to Spence who controlled the ball before firing home from inside the area.

The hosts were to hit back almost immediately however. Scott Stewart was afforded time and space to cross from the right and on-loan Motherwell attacked Jake Hastie equalised at the back post, nipping in ahead of Jamie Watson to get the Diamonds back on level terms just a minute after falling behind.

Willis Furtado fired wide before Murray had another headed chance which this time missed the target for Barry Smith’s men.

Jake Hastie cut in from the left and forced Smith into a good save in the Rovers goal. However, Cammy Russell was first to react and he slotted home from a tight angle to put Airdrieonians ahead.

Murray had a third chance – and the final attempt of the first-half – but there was no luck for Raith as his header once again didn’t trouble Ferguson.

Liam Buchanan saw his early effort blocked as the visitors looked to get back on level terms quickly. Ross Matthews was then placed on 50 minutes by winger Bobby Barr in an attacking change.

The match became scrappy and very few chances were created. Kieran MacDonald had an effort from a free-kick which went wide before Canadian winger Dario Zanatta headed a good chance wide with just over 20 minutes remaining.

This saw Raith make their second change with goalscorer Spence leaving the field to be replaced by youngster Jonny Court.

French forward Furtado then headed straight at Smith as the hosts looked for a third goal that would surely secure a vital three points.

Vaughan tried his luck from range but the striker couldn’t add to has 18-goal haul this season with his free-kick going wide of Ferguson’s left-hand post.

Sean McIntosh then replaced Joshua Edwards in Findlay’s first switch of the afternoon. Furtado continued to cause problems with his movement, pace and trickery; the number 11 had an effort blocked on this occasion as the game enteteed thr latter stages.

Vaughan had another chence from a direct free-kick but, again, it wasn’t able to be hit on target in a frustrating afternoon for the Fifers.

Tom Fry replaced Cammy Russell as the game looked to be beyond the visitors, with just added time remaining.

Then, however, teenager Court flicked hone a Jason Thomson cross from the left to level things up.

Despite another four minutes of stoppage time remaining, neither side could carve out another opportunity, with the match ending all square.

A good point for both sides in the end. Airdrieonians played well and will he disappointed to have lost out on a win so late on, but, I am sure would have taken a draw pre-match. On the other hand, Smith will be unhappy I presume with his own teams performance and will be thankful they done enough to take something out of the game.

FULL-TIME: Airdrieonians 2-2 Raith Rovers

Team Line-Up


1. Rohan Ferguson

2. David Brownlie

3. Kieran MacDonald

4. Jordan McGregor

5. Luke Watt

6. Joshua Edwards (Sean McIntosh 80″)

7. Scott Stewart

8. Dean Cairns

9. Cammy Russell (Tom Fry 90′)

10. Jake Hastie

11. Willis Furtado


17. Kelby Mason (GK)

12. Adam Brown

14. Tom Fry

15. Sean McIntosh

16. Jordan Allan

18. John Higgins

19. Robbie Leighton

Raith Rovers

1. Graeme Smith

2. Jason Thomson

3. Jamie Watson

5. Euan Murray

7. Greig Spence (Jonathan Court 70′)

8. Scott Robertson

9. Liam Buchanan

10. Lewis Vaughan

12. Ross Matthews (Bobby Barr 50′)

18. David McKay

19. Dario Zanatta


17. Aaron Lennox (GK)

6. James Berry

11. Bobby Barr

14. Iain Davidson

15. Yaw Osei-Opoku

16. Jonathan Court

Referee: Don Robertson

Attendance: 450


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s