Scottish Cup Round 4 Overview

This weekend saw the William Hill Scottish Cup enter the Fourth Round. Here is how the sides got on:

Aberdeen 4-1 St Mirren

The Dons breezed into Round 5 with victory over Championship leaders St Mirren.

Aberdeen took the lead early on when Stelios Demetriou fouled Greg Stewart inside the area; Adam Rooney stepped up and put Derek McInnes’ side in-front.

Shortly after, it was 2-0 as on-loan Celtic midfielder Ryan Christie powered home after being set-up by Gary Mackay-Steven. However, Jack Ross’ men got a life-line when top scorer Gavin Reilly pulled one back on 25 minutes.

There was no fightback from the Buddies, however, as Ryan Christie headed home a third before Mackay-Steven got on the scoresheet just seconds into the second-half to confirm the home sides place in the next round.

Attendance: 9,848

Albion Rovers P-P St Johnstone

This game was called off due to a frozen pitch at Cliftonhill.

Alloa Athletic 0-2 Dundee United

Csaba Laszlo’s full-time outfit managed to secure their passage into the 5th round with a win over Jim Goodwin’s League One side.

The opening period was fairly even with both sides having chances, but, it was the Arabs who grabbed that all-important goal right before half-time.

Craig Slater floated over a corner and it was Mark Durnan who managed to rise above his marker to head home for the Championship side.

New signing Emil Lyng got his first goal for the club as the Dane fired past Neil Parry into the net after being set up by Sam Stanton.

Despite their best attempts, Alloa couldn’t force their way through to goal as their cup dreams ended for another season.

Attendance: 1,615

Ayr United 4-1 Arbroath

A depleted Ayr done enough to reach Round 5 after a strong victory over League One rivals Arbroath.

It was an incredibly hard-fought encounter despite the scoreline, with more than 30 shots in the match. And, it was one of the first attempts at goal which saw the Honest Men take the lead.

Declan McDaid fired home the opener from range after being teed up by Lawrence Shankland, which was the only goal to separate the sides at the break.

However, Ian McCall’s men were to go two in-front early on in the second half, with Shankland this time getting his name on the score sheet. The striker latched onto an assist by Michael Rose from a set-piece delivery which put Dick Campbell’s men in trouble.

The visitors fought back and it was substitute Ryan McCord who notched the next goal with 79 minutes gone. The ex-Raith Rovers midfielder fired home from outside the box to give the Red Lichties hope, but, it was quickly extinguished by another McDaid strike.

The former Partick Thistle winger slotted past David Hutton with seven minutes remaining before Craig Moore made sure of victory in added on time to put some gloss on to the scoreline.

Attendance: 1,151

Celtic 5-0 Brechin City

It was cruise control in Glasgow for the current Scottish Cup holders as they demolished Darren Dods’ side at Parkhead.

Within 100 seconds, the Hoops had the lead as Scott Sinclair set up fellow wide-man James Forrest who fired past Graeme Smith in the Brechin goal before it was Sinclair himself who scored the second soon after.

The Englishman slotted who from the left hand side to give Brendan Rodgers’ men a 2-0 lead inside 11 minutes. That is the way it stayed until the interval but it was game over just minutes into the second period.

Oliver Ntcham made it 3-0 with a close-range header following a Mikael Lustig cross which put the game beyond any doubt.

The visitors were to be punished further though as Dedryck Boyata nodded home a Callum McGregor corner before Odsonne Edouard rounded off the scoring late-on after being assisted by young winger Mikey Johnston.

Attendance: 24,879

Dundee 2-2 Inverness Caledonian Thistle

A replay will be required to separate these two sides who played out an entertaining match at Dens Park on Saturday afternoon.

And, it was the visitors who took the lead on 16 minutes through Aaron Doran; the winger curled the ball home past Elliot Parish to give John Robertson’s side the lead at the break.

However, the Premiership side drew level shortly into the second half through A-Jay Leitch-Smith: the on-loan attacker netted after being set-up by strike-partner Sofien Moussa.

Then, Mark O’Hara grabbed his 6th goal of the season to send the Dees in front, with a shot from outside the area flying past Mark Ridgers into the net.

The Highlanders fought back though and it was George Oakley who equalised with only three minutes remaining to level the game. The striker tucked the ball home from close-range to send the game back to Inverness for a second shot of finding a winner.

Attendance: 3,507

Dunfermline Athletic 1-2 Greenock Morton

It was a late winner which saw Jim Duffy’s men scrape past the Pars in Fife.

Both sides battled hard but it was Gary Oliver’s strike which separated the sides at the interval. The former Hearts frontman fired past Lee Robinson to see the Ton ahead.

Former loanee of Morton, Declan McManus, found the net on 57 minutes from just outside the area to equalise for Allan Johnston’s men but Dunfermline were to lose out late on.

A fast-break saw Jai Quitongo curl the ball home for the winner to send the small band of visiting supporters delirious as the Fifers headed home with their heads down.

Attendance: 2,573

East Fife 0-1 Brora Rangers

This win will see the Highland League side enter the 5th round of the Scottish Cup for their first time in their history, with a famous victory in Methil going down in the history books.

The only goal of the game came on 12 minutes when Colin Williamson headed home a Gavin Morrison corner from close-range to see the visitors in-front.

Despite Darren Young’s side pushing hard in the second half, they were unable to draw back onto level terms, which means Ross Tokely’s side advance after another League One scalp.

Attendance: 685

Formartine United P-P Cove Rangers

This match was called off at North Lodge Park due to a frozen pitch. 

Fraserburgh P-P Rangers

This match was postponed due to a frozen pitch at Bellslea Park. 

Heart of Midlothian 1-0 Hibernian

An entertaining match was settled late on by a Don Cowie goal as Hearts came out on top in the Edinburgh Derby.

The first half saw both sides miss guilt edge chances; Steven Naismith for Craig Levein’s men and Martin Boyle of Hibs slotted wide when it looked easier to score while Esmael Goncalves saw Ofir Marciano pull off a good save to deny him.

The Israeli shot-stopper kept out Demetri Mitchell with a superb stop which seemed to be taking the match to a replay but, late on, Christophe Berra nodded to the ball down which Don Cowie seemed to get the slightest of touches on to, to see it spin over the line despite the best efforts of Marciano and John McGinn to keep it out. 

Attendance: 18,709

Kilmarnock 1-0 Ross County

A late penalty saw Steve Clarke’s side advance to Round 5 in the Scottish Cup.

After a reasonably even 87 minutes, it was Tim Chow who conceded a penalty after fouling Rory McKenzie.

The ex-Wigan midfielder was shown a red-card by match referee Bobby Madden before Lee Erwin stepped up and slotted home the resultant spot-kick to send the Ayrshire men through at the expense of Owen Coyle’s Highlanders.

Attendance: 3,595

Livingston P-P Falkirk

This match was postponed due to a frozen pitch at the Tony Macaroni Arena.

Motherwell 2-0 Hamilton Academical

The Lanarkshire Derby was won by Motherwell as the Steelmen progress to the next round with a comfortable 2-0 home win over Hamilton.

The match started off badly for the Accies as Scott McMann put the ball through his own net for an early lead to Stephen Robinson’s side.

On 35 minutes, the advantage was doubled as Xavier Tomas conceded a penalty for Martin Canning’s men. Curtis Main was fouled and that gave Craig Tanner the opportunity to fire past Gary Woods to make it 2-0.

Attendance: 4,725

Peterhead P-P Dumbarton

This match was postponed due a frozen pitch at Balmoor Stadium.

Queen of the South 1-2 Partick Thistle

Alan Archibald’s Premiership side saw through a tough match in Dumfries to reach the next stage of the William Hill Scottish Cup.

In a closely contested match, it was the Jags who opened the scoring on 41 minutes as Conor Sammon found the net. The experienced striker slotted home past Alan Martin just before the break to Gary Naysmith’s men in a goal behind at the interval.

However, it was youngster Ross Fergusson who equalised with a difficult finish from a tight angle after being set-up by on-loan Rangers full-back Myles Beerman.

There was late drama though as Sammon struck a right-footed effort into the bottom left hand corner to win the match for Archibald’s men at the expense of the Doonhamers.

Attendance: 2,338

Scottish Cup 5th Round Draw:

Formartine United / Cove Rangers vs Livingston / Falkirk

Greenock Morton vs Peterhead / Dumbarton

Heart of Midlothian vs Albion Rovers / St Johnstone

Kilmarnock vs Brora Rangers

Ayr United vs Fraserburgh / Rangers

Aberdeen vs Dundee United

Dundee / Inverness Caledonian Thistle vs Motherwell

Celtic vs Partick Thistle

Ties to be played on the 10th or 11th of February, 2018. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s