Scottish Cup Midweek Round-Up; 23rd January 2018

There were three ties scheduled to take place this evening after being postponed on Saturday.

Albion Rovers P-P St Johnstone

This match fell foul to the weather for the second time in 4 days. The game at Cliftonhill has new been moved to next Monday where it will hopefully be third time lucky.

Livingston 0-1 Falkirk

It was heart-break for Livingston as they lost out to a plucky Bairns side who scored with almost the last touch of the ball.

The match started off scrappy with Alan Lithgow’s early header being blocked from a corner the only real goalmouth action. Midway through the half, Andrew Nelson had the first chance of the match for the visitors but he couldn’t find the target.

Lithgow had another header, this time saved by Robbie Thomson before Nelson forced Neil Alexander into work at the other end moments later.

Jordan McGhee had a stab at goal from a free-kick but he couldn’t trouble Alexander as the teams went in level at the break.

Louis Longridge had the first effort of the second half but it went wide before Declan Gallagher also missed the target from another Livingston corner.

The Lions remained on the attack as Steven Boyd shot over the bar before Nelson’s latest effort went high and wide as the game remained goalless with 30 minutes remaining.

Both sides made attacking switches with Jack McMillan being replaced by Josh Mullin, as well as new signing Lee Miller – making his debut against the side he left last week – who was brought on for Boyd. Ryan Hardie would also make his first appearance for David Hopkin’s side, as he replaced Scott Robinson in attack; while, Paul Hartley brought Watford loanee Alex Jakubiak on for Nelson and Ryan Blair for Lewis Kidd.

Finally, another chance came as Gregor Buchanan this time headed towards goal from a set-piece but once again the hosts were to be foiled.

Joe McKee would come on for Tom Taiwo late on, as the former Hibs midfielder was forced off through injury. It wouldn’t derail Falkirk though as they won the game late on.

Set-pieces seemed to be Livi’s most likely outlet of a goal all evening and after Hardie missed with a header on 83 minutes, it seemed as if the game was heading back to The Falkirk Stadium.

However, deep into stoppage time, Ross County’s on-loan full-back Reghan Tumilty snatched victory as the youngster scored his second goal for the Bairns from close-range.

Heart-break for the hosts who battled hard throughout the contest but the visitors have pipped their Championship rivals at the last to take their place in the last 16 of the Scottish Cup.

Attendance: 1,237

Peterhead 2-3 Dumbarton

Championship side Dumbarton scraped through against Peterhead – who may have won it themselves if they had brought their shooting boots!

It was the Sons who were on the attack early on and after a few corners, the goal eventually came as Calum Gallagher fired home from outside the area to give Stevie Aitken’s side the lead.

Jim McInally’s men fought their way back into the contest though as Scott Brown had a dig at goal, but his shot went high and wide. Willie Gibson was next to try his luck, but, once again his free-kick didn’t trouble Scott Gallacher in the visiting goal.

Andy Dowie missed a header on 28 minutes before the Blue Toon equalised just three minutes later. Jason Brown slotted the ball home into the top hand corner of the net following a free-kick situation which levelled the match up at 1-1.

Willie Gibson saw a shot blocked while Tom Walsh dragged a shot wide as the sides went in even at the break in an eventful opening 45 minutes.

Gallacher was made to work early on in the second half with Russell McLean and the Brown having attempts at goal which the ex-Rangers shot-stopper dealt with in the end.

The duo were denied again before Gallagher made the hosts pay as he grabbed his second of the game to put the Sons back in front. New signing Iain Russell set up the attacker who slotted the ball past Greg Fleming for the second time on the evening.

Just minutes later and it was the veteran Russell himself who got his name on the score-sheet. After coming out of retirement, the striker has got back amongst the goals almost immediately as he headed home from close range to put a cushion between the visitors and their League Two opponents.

Experienced duo Rory McAllister and Nicky Riley were brought on at this point for McLean and Brown as McInally hoped for some fresh impetus in attack.

McAllister was straight into the thick of things as he missed two chances before Jordan Brown replaced Jack Leitch with under half-an-hour remaining.

Gibson tried an unorthodox effort but Gallacher was aware of the situation to keep the scoreline as it was, before the former Crawley Town winger was denied again by the keeper just seconds later.

Dimitris Froxylias replaced Dougie Hill as Aitken tried to swing the momentum back into his sides’ hands but the tidal wave of attacks kept coming from the Blue Toon.

McAllister fired over from distance before Mason Robertson headed wide to the right of Gallacher’s goal as the game headed into the closing stages.

Another Robertson header would be saved before Brown was also denied by Gallacher as the goalkeeper’s inspired performance helped keep his side in front.

Gibson’s corner would again invite Robertson to try his luck and he wouldn’t be foiled a third time as his header found the back of the net to give the hosts hope on 83 minutes.

Jordan Brown and then David McCracken had late attempts saved as the match drew to a close. The hosts ruing their missed chances while the Sons will be grateful for Gallacher’s impressive display between the sticks.

Attendance: 691


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s